Thursday, May 14, 2020

#30daywritingchallenge Day 4: Dear Daughter

Day 4: Write about the sun


I feel like I need a vacation.


Don’t get me wrong, I consider myself extremely honoured and blessed to have the life I do. From the moment my 9 little bundles of joy entered my life, I knew deep in my heart that they were destined to do incredible things. Watching them grow throughout the years into the beautiful, strong creatures they are today has been nothing less than magical. Still, despite all of this, I can't help but find myself longing for an escape from this wonderful, frustrating chaos every once and awhile. With my children's incredible growth, has come a handful of eccentric personalities, that I’m starting to have a hard time juggling. 


Mercury, my smallest, has never been too much of a hassle. Always sticking by my side, he’s never been the type to want to draw attention to himself. I feel as though some of my eldest hold grudges against him for his clinginess to me, but I’ve never been one to pick favourites. Venus can be hot headed sometimes, but I can sense that she's dealt with some insecurity over her rough and blistering terrain that she’s never told me about. She’s always been very full of love for me and all of her siblings, and when she’s feeling good, she shines brighter than all of the other stars in the sky. Jupiter has always been a great big brother to all of the other children, but his bold and brash attitude has always overshadowed some of his smaller siblings. He can get a bit rowdy and hysterical when he gets upset, often working himself into a fit of storms and wind that can be near impossible to calm down. I'm so lucky to have his wonderful moons to help me guide him when my hands are too full. And with Jupiter’s temper and his size, I need 79 helpers to keep him under control. Saturn is my flamboyant one; he takes pride in his unique appearance and tends to think of himself as higher than all his siblings. He vanity clashes with Jupiters arrogance, and the two brothers often battle for dominance among the planets. Uranus and Neptune are my distant sons, cold and apathetic. I rarely know what they’re up to and I wish I could provide them more warmth than I’m able to. I hope their moons treat them well. 


My most troubled child is undoubtedly my poor Earth. In the beginning, she was something of something of a child prodigy. As she became a mother of her own, growing beautiful creatures all over her land, I knew that she had to be very careful. With her new creations came new responsibility, and very quickly she was in way over her head. Her creatures were evolving faster than any of us could keep track of. They built civilizations and tore them down; they would get in violent fights and destroy her and each other. Still, she worked so hard to help them thrive, putting her all into making every living thing as happy and healthy as she could. As time went on, I noticed she was losing her vibrant glow. She always looked so sick and tired, as if she’d had all the life drained out of her. There was nothing I could say or do to make things better As the damage they had done to her had become unfixable. Growing up, her and Mars were twin flames. But ever since Earth’s creatures have started prodding with her siblings' surface, filling him with experiments and junk without his consent, they’ve been resentful towards each other. Her moon silently puts up with the same tampering. When Pluto became estranged from our family, Earth was the first to vocally condemn her and go on tangents about how he doesn’t belong with us. 


Things have become so tense that I don't know what to do with her anymore. She’s wasting away for these creatures and they do nothing to repay her. They’ve turned her sour, and now I feel as though I hardly recognize what she’s become.  I love her, of course. She’s my daughter and I’d do anything for her. I hope I can keep her warm forever. I love her. But I’m not sure if I like her. Not who she is now. Not who she is with her humans. Sometimes I wish they would all disappear and stop tarnishing her, and that I could have my old, lively daughter back. They’re like parasites draining the life out of her soil. 


All I’ve ever wanted is for my family to be happy. Being a single mother is hard enough as it is, especially of nine, and especially when you suddenly become a grandmother to billions of tiny species that all know who you are, but you will never know any of them. I wish I could get away from all of the tension for a little while. Swim among the cosmos, visit different galaxies, see how life on the other side of the universe operates. But I can’t. These are all selfish desires anyway. Maybe one day, in the future, all of the storms and violence will calm down. But I'll keep that dream to myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment